Classes begin quarterly
Tech Project Management Boot Camp in Kansas
Become a Tech Project Manager in 18 Weeks
Technology has transformed the way organizations work. Today, nearly every project includes a technology component. To be effective in any industry, project managers need to understand how software is developed and what role it plays in meeting a project’s business objectives.
- Through hands-on classes in a convenient part-time format, KU Technology Project Management Boot Camp prepares you to effectively lead technology projects across a variety of industries.
- With a project-based curriculum, you’ll gain hands-on training in requirements documentation, test plans, traditional, agile and hybrid methodologies, scrum frameworks, resource planning, and more.*
- By tapping into a wide set of career services like resume and portfolio reviews, interview training, and 1:1 coaching, you’ll be positioned for success as you work to advance in your current career or seek a new opportunity.
- Over the course of 18 weeks, you’ll acquire the skills necessary to sit for the globally recognized Professional Scrum Master™ Level I Certification.
Learn Modern Project Management Through University of Kansas Lifelong & Professional Education
You will develop technical fluency — learning how software is developed and maintained so that you can credibly lead technology projects in any industry. The market-driven curriculum covers*:
The Business of Software Development
- Software Development Life Cycle
- Budgeting, Procurement, and Vendor Management
- Requirements Documentation
- Process Mapping and Modeling
- Test Cases, Test Scenarios, and Test Plans
Traditional Project Management
- Project Management Life Cycle
- Project Management Knowledge Areas
- Triple Constraint Theory
- Project Plans
- Risk Register and Risk Matrix
- Quality and Stakeholder Management
Project Management in Operations
- Resource Planning
- Operations Team Communications Matrix
- Maintenance Release Project Scheduling
- Key Performance Indicator Dashboards
- Service Level Agreement Documents
Hybrid Project Management
- Traditional and Agile Methodologies
- Hybrid Project Management Flow
- Gantt Charts
- Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)
- Sprint Boards for Hybrid Projects
- Project Closeout
Agile Methodologies and Scrum Framework
- Agile Manifesto and Agile Principles
- Agile Scrum Framework
- Story Point Estimation
- Scrum Development Team Formation and Roles
- Scrum Ceremonies
- Product and Sprint Backlog Management
- Agile Value-Based Prioritization
- Sprint Reviews and Retrospectives
*The material covered is subject to change. Our academic team adjusts to the market demand.
Is a Project Manager Boot Camp Right for You?
KU Technology Project Management Boot Camp takes a multidisciplinary approach to developing in-demand technical, leadership, and business management skills. Those who complete the program can expect to be able to:
- Explain each stage of the traditional project management lifecycle and create all documentation required to drive a project plan from initiation to closure.
- Elicit and document business requirements from stakeholders to create a use case activity that will support the four levels in the software testing life cycle.
- Apply agile principles to the working environment to conduct release, capacity, and velocity planning.
- Apply your new skills and knowledge to the Professional Scrum Master™ Level I exam.
- Utilize modern software like Jira and Wrike to build project plans and reports.
Get Program Info
How to Apply to KU Technology Project Management Boot Camp
1. Submit Form. Fill out the contact form and select the program you’re interested in to request more information.
2. Interview and Application. An advisor will connect with you to discuss program details and answer any questions you may have. Then, you will fill out a short application.
3. Assessment. Complete a basic multiple-choice critical thinking and problem-solving assessment. No prior industry knowledge is required.
4. Enrollment. Once you are accepted into the program, you will determine which financial option is right for you. Secure your seat by signing your enrollment agreement and paying your deposit.
The Market for Project Managers in Kansas
Are you an organized, detail-oriented “people person” who loves technology? If so, becoming a technology project manager could be your dream job! If it is, now is definitely the time to get started — over 2.2 million new project management roles (globally) are anticipated annually through 2027, according to the Project Management Institute (PMI). And, here in the U.S., a 9 percent annual growth rate in tech project management roles is anticipated through 2030, according to CareerOneSource.
And, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the roughly 11,260 technical project managers currently working in Kansas earn a mean annual wage of $77,130, while project management professionals working in Kansas City earn a mean annual wage of $83,680. While specific salaries depend on a number of factors including years of experience, knowledge of in-demand skills, company size, and industry, it is safe to say that tech project management professionals earn significantly more than the Kansas mean annual wage of $48,610.
While tech project management careers can be lucrative, there are more exciting details to discuss as well. In Kansas City and the surrounding areas, aspiring tech project managers are currently being sought by leading companies such as Deloitte, Dupont, Accenture, and General Dynamics Information Technology. In addition, many of these positions have hybrid or remote work options which can help you build the future that makes sense for you.
Are you ready to take charge and plan the next step in your career? KU Technology Project Management Boot Camp can help you build the in-demand skills you’ll need to succeed in the tech project management profession. You’ll be able to put the skills you learn into practice, working on real-world projects you can put in your professional portfolio to share with prospective employers. Get started on the path to your future and enroll today!